Despite the fact that literally, no one uses the Internet explorer, there are people who still prefer the OLD guy. Cause no matter how advanced modern car could be, it doesn’t beat the 67’s Shelby. Even though Microsoft tried to bring the Internet Explorer back in the race, there wasn’t much they can do. But that doesn’t mean people totally forgot it, there are users who love the old school, simple Internet explorer. And if that gets down, it will cause chaos for them.
So if you are having trouble with your IE then this post is for you. The most common error that people face while using the Internet explorer is “Internet Explorer Cannot Display The Webpage“. What is this error? Why did it happen? And how to prevent it? In this post, I will answer all of these questions.
What is this error?
You get the Internet Explorer cannot display the Webpage error when IE cannot access the Internet. In simple term, your browser cannot access any websites as it can’t connect. Well, there are several reasons for this, but some common ones are-
- Incorrect Firewall settings
- Invalid Proxy settings
- Incorrect Browser setting
- Misbehaving Add-ons
- A newly Installed software
So, how to fix it? In normal scenarios, this error could be caused due to any one of these reasons, which can be fixed in less than 2 minutes. But, since we don’t know the exact reason, we have to go through all of the fixes one by one. The whole process might take 10 minutes, so be patient and follow through.
- Before trying any of these fixes make sure your Machine has an Internet connection. Try using another browser or Windows application that requires an Internet connection to ensure that.
- Also, ensure that there are no VPNs enabled in your System. If you share your machine then ask the other person to make sure.
- One last thing you can do is unplug your Router for 1 minute and re-connect it. It will refresh the connections, which might solve the problem.
How to Fix Internet Explorer Cannot Display the Webpage Error
So here are the different ways by which you can fix Internet Explorer Cannot Display the Webpage problem on Windows 10, 8, 7 and even XP.
1. Turn Off Protection
Every Windows machine has some level of protection activated. It may be your pre-installed antivirus or your Windows Firewall. Well, they usually don’t cause any problems but sometimes they do. Sometimes they might block IE from accessing the Internet. That sometimes could be this time, so turn off you Windows protection and check if the error persists. If your IE starts working as it used to, then the problem is solved.
Don’t know how to turn off your firewall?
- Open Start menu and type “Windows Firewall” in the Search menu.
- Click on the Windows firewall to open it.
- Now on the left side o the screen, click on “Turn Windows Firewall On and Off“.
- Check “Turn off Windows Firewall” and click ok.
- Try to run Internet explorer. If nothing happens, revert the setting you made and try other fixes.
2. Change Browser Settings
A situation where your browser settings were tampered with or was changed for some reasons can also cause this error. Even though it wasn’t, just check it to make sure. To do so,
- Open Run by pressing Windows + R.
- In the search section type “inetcpl.cpl” and press Enter.
- Now go to Advance and click on Reset. Click on Reset again to confirm.
- Once it’s done, Open IE to check if it’s working.
- If it fixes the problem, press Ctrl+ Shift + B to restore bookmarks.
3. Invalid Proxy Settings
Invalid proxy settings usually deviate your Internet explorer from its path losing connectivity from the Internet. In the simplest format, the proxy works as the path that connects you from your destination. So if you are traveling on a wrong path you won’t reach your destination, which happens when proxy settings are invalid.
In order to check/restore your proxy settings,
- Start by opening Run by pressing Windows + R.
- Type b”inetcpl.cpl” and press Enter.
- Go to Connections-> LAN settings.
- Now check on “Automatically detect settings” and leave others unchecked. Click Ok-> Apply-> Ok.
- In case it was pre-checked, let it be and exit, your proxy settings are valid. Please try other methods.
4. Check Your IP
Every machine has a different IP address provided by their Internet Service provider. The IP address provided by your ISP is Public i.e. the address by which you are identified on the Internet. But if your IP address is Private instead of being Public, your IE won’t connect to the Internet. To check that,
- Press Windows + R to open Run.
- Now type, ” ipconfig ” and press Enter. This will show your IP address.
- If you get an IP similar to ” 169.254.X.X ” then it is a private IP address provided by Windows. In case you have a different IP check it by using sites like “ipinfo.info“.
- If your IP address comes out private, contact your ISP, and they will solve it immediately.
5. Misbehaving Add-ons
When the Internet got locally available to literally everyone and browsers were extensively used, add-ons were introduced to increase efficiency. These add-ons are like the small shortcut buttons that save you time and makes your job easier. But, they can cause issues as well. And there is a good chance that a misbehaving add-on can force your IE to disconnect. So, here is how to fix it-
- Go to the Tools menu, and click on Internet Options.
- Navigate to the Program tab and click on Manage add-ons.
- Now, click on the Disable button. Restart your browser and check if the problem remains.
- If it’s solved, you are good, if not- repeat!
Note- The “Internet Explorer Cannot Display Webpage” error can also be caused by recently installed software or OS. In such scenarios, uninstall the software or restore the operating system, only if none of the above methods works.
6. Disable Enhanced Protected Mode
With the release of Windows 8, Microsoft launched several new tools to enhance privacy and security. The Enhanced Protected Mode was added so Internet Explorer can protect your personal data. This mode basically restricts the access to any untrusted Web contents. But anything made with right intentions can definitely go wrong. And if now of the above methods help, then this is it.
- Open Run by pressing Windows + R.
- Type in ” inetcpl.cpl ” and press Enter.
- Go to Advanced-> Enhanced Protected Mode.
- Uncheck-> Apply -> OK.
The Bottom Line
The error ” Internet Explorer Cannot Display The Webpage” is a common IE error. And there is no denying to the fact that you might face it again. In order to prevent such errors, avoid in-secure Websites, always keep default setting, use as fewer add-ons as possible and regularly update your Windows.
Well, that pretty much concludes the article. So now you know everything about the error and how to face it. You can also check us out, in case you are facing other types of Windows-related errors. If you have any queries or suggestions related to this post, comment down below and we will try to respond asap.
At last- Thanks for reading this article. Have a good day. I really hope these methods work out for you.