Out of all the hours I have spent on PC, 70% of that time went in playing games. While the rest went in figuring out the different errors that stopped me from spending my 70%.
Over the past 8 years, I have seen several errors but nothing as annoying as “Application has been blocked from accessing Graphics Hardware“. The fact that I wasn’t able to play Assassins Creed Unity for a whole week, burnt this error into my memories.
So if you are unable to play or work due to this “Big” named error, then Welcome to its fix. Today I will tell you How to fix “Application has been blocked from accessing Graphics Hardware ” Error? in the easiest way possible. But first, let us figure out what’s all this fuss is about.
What is Application has been blocked from accessing Graphics Hardware?
If you are a gamer or a professional, you probably had already figured the error out by looking at the big defining name. Well if you haven’t, this error is all about your Graphic cards, especially external.
In simple terms, due to some reason, your graphics card is not functional anymore, which means any program that needs your GPU will not function. But, it does not mean that your GPU is faulty, as it is mostly the GPU driver’s fault.
A driver, in general, is a software that allows an OS to utilize itself. And a GPU driver is a piece of software that allows your operating system to communicate with your GPU. So if for some reason, your driver loses its functionality, your OS will not be able to utilize your GPU. Yeah, that means, no PUBG, Minecraft, Roblox, Photoshop, Blender, Unity, or anything that uses your GPU’s computing power.
Now you get why it’s so annoying. On the bright side, the error itself is not really common and its really easy to fix as well. However, you will need a good internet connection to fix this error.
How to Fix Application has been blocked from accessing Graphics Hardware
In a nutshell, the fix for this error is pretty simple, just update the GPU drivers and it will take care of it. That is when the software is really the issue. In case you are not sure what you are dealing with, just follow along.
1. Run SFC
We do know that the problem is related to the drivers, but it’s not one way. A driver can also misbehave in case the Windows file its connecting is damaged. To fix that and to ensure that nothing like that happens, scanning those files is a really good option.
The System File Checker or SFC is one of the command-line utility tools that helps restore damaged Windows files. This tool has the authority and ability to scan every existing Windows file and find any damaged one. After this, it basically replaces the whole file with the original version stored in the System 32 folder.
To use this tool,
- Press Windows + X and click on Command Prompt(admin).
- Now, type in “sfc/scannow” and press Enter.
- This process takes some time, so be patient. Once the scan is complete, restart your PC and check if the problem persists.
2. Run DISM
The Deployment Image Servicing Management or DISM is also a command-line tool which is used to service or repair Windows Image file. This tool can be used to service any .wim .vhd or .vhdx files. In a nutshell, these files are a basis on which Windows offers different functionality. If anything happens to this file, a BSOD is a really common response.
To use this tool,
- First, open Command Prompt as admin.
- Now type the following-
- “Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth” then press Enter.
- “Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /Scan-Health” then press Enter.”Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth” and press Enter again.
3. Update Drivers
After using the two above methods, it is time to get rid of the problem totally. As I have mentioned before, the Application has been blocked from accessing Graphics Hardware error is usually caused by outdated drivers. And obviously updating them will fix the problem. The reason why I didn’t prefer this method earlier was that I wanted this to be the last method for this error.
Well updating the GPU driver or Display Adapters is really easy and it usually automatically updates while Windows is downloading its update. But if you are using an External GPU or even if you are not, manually updating them should solve the problem.
To update your Graphic card Driver,
- In the Start menu search bar, type Device Manager.
- Under Device Manager, go to Display Adapters.
- Now right-click on your Display Adapters and click on Update Driver.
- Select “Search automatically for updated driver software“.
- Wait, till Windows find an update and download it automatically.
- After the installation restarts your PC and then check if the problem persists after.
4. Re-install Driver
It is often seen that sometimes a faulty driver does not update automatically. And even if you try to update it manually, you would most probably get an update error. In such cases, the best option is to uninstall those drivers and re-install it by downloading the latest one.
To do so,
- In order to uninstall a driver, simply follow the same steps as above, and click on Uninstall instead of Update Driver.
- One the driver is uninstalled, it is time to download the latest version. For this, you must know your GPU manufactures name and build number.
- Now, Open Google and type “Manufacturer’s name GPU-Type latest Drivers”. As an example, Nvidia GTX 1080Ti latest drivers.
- This will take you to the Nvidia’s official site where you can download your GPU Drivers
The Bottom Line
The so-called Application has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware error is one of those, that are less dangerous more demotivating. This error will just compromise your workspace forcing you to consider the Worst case scenario. And when you spend thousands of dollars on GPU to boost your performance or for a better gaming experience, these errors will remind you of every penny you paid.
Well, you don’t have to worry now, as these fixes will definitely solve this problem. And keeping your Windows updated will most probably keep such errors away as well.
With that said, thanks for reading this article. I hope the information was helpful to you. If you have any queries, feel free to comment down below.