“An error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer, Code- 8007EE2”
Your Windows is unable to download updates. Every time you try to update your Windows, an error is caused. These situations, causes error code like- 80072EE2, 8024400A and 8024400D. All of these errors are Windows update errors which don’t allow Windows to download updates.
What causes this error? What caused this error? How to fix these errors? And, How to prevent this from happening? This post will deal with all these questions. So, please lend me your 5-minutes to fix this error in 50 seconds.
What is Error Code- 80072EE2?
The error code- 80072EE2 is an update time error. This error is caused due to corrupt Windows update files. Any type of file gets corrupted while it is being saved. It can be your internet connection, it can be your power anything which interrupts Windows update causes this error.
And, in order to solve this problem, you will have to recreate your Windows update store folder which got corrupted in the process. Another way to do it is by deleting Automatic update server from Registry Editor. But before you try any of these, try troubleshooting Windows Update.
Note- These fixes can also solve Code- 8024400A and 8024400D
How to Fix Windows Update Error 80072EE2?
Before starting to try any of the fixes, check two things first.
- Your PC should be connected to a good internet connection.
- Make sure that your Windows, Date and Time is correct if not, that was the problem.
Done checking? Let’s fix our issue then.
1. Troubleshoot Windows update
Windows have several implemented tools/ways to fix its problems and troubleshooting is one of them. Windows’ troubleshoot first analyses the problem and then fixes it. In case of any error in Windows, troubleshooting that program may solve the issue if not work as first aid.
In order to Troubleshoot Windows update,
- Open the Start menu by pressing the Windows key and type Troubleshooting in the search menu.
- Press Enter or left-click to open it.
- Below System and Security click on “Fix problems with Windows update”.
- Now click on Next and let it do its thing.
- Once the troubleshooting is complete, restart your windows and check if the problem remains.
2. Use Registry Editor to Delete- Automatic Update Server Settings
Windows automatically updates itself by downloading updates form a single server. In case of any interruption, these files could have been damaged causing Windows update error. By using registry editor, you can delete the automatic update server settings and then updating the Windows will create a new file. To delete the server settings,
- First, open Run by pressing Windows + R. Now, type “ Regedit” and press Enter.
- Once, the Registry Editor is open, go to –
- Now, right-click on AU and left-click on Delete.
- This will delete the Automatic Update file. Now Restart your computer and update your Windows.
This should fix Windows update error 80072EE2 from your Windows 10, 8 or 7.
3. Delete Software Distribution
Another way to fix 80072EE2 error is by deleting software distribution.
Software Distribution is a folder which holds temporary files. This folder is located into Windows Directory and is manage by WU agent. The files stored in this folder may also help while installing Windows update. And in case of any damage, it can definitely stall your updates.
To delete the Software Distribution folder,
- Open Command Prompt as admin, press Windows + X and click on “command prompt(admin)“.
- Now, type the following commands one by one and keep pressing Enter after each command.
- net start cryptSvc
- net start wuauserv
- net start msiserver
- net start bits
- Once, you are done with all the commands, open This PC by pressing Windows + E.
- In This PC, go to C:\Windows\SoftwaresDistribution. Select all and Delete.
- Close all the Windows except Command Prompt and type in the same codes as in step 2 in the same order.
- Restart your computer and you are all set to go.
4. Reset Windows Update Modules
If none of the above methods work, then you can try resetting Windows Update modules. As per my understanding, resetting any file reinitializes it from a pre-set point. This point in Windows is usually when it was installed. To reset your Windows update-modules,
- Start by opening Command prompt as an admin.
- Now type in the following codes in order. Don’t forget to press Enter after typing in Each code.
net stop wuauserv cd %systemroot% ren SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old net start wuauserv net stop bits net start bits net stop cryptsvc cd %systemroot%\system32 ren catroot2 catroot2.old net start cryptsvc regsvr32 Softpub.dll /s regsvr32 Wintrust.dll /s regsvr32 Initpki.dll /s regsvr32 Mssip32.dll /s
- Now, restart your computer, your 80072EE2 error should have been fixed by now.
Just like any Windows error, the Windows update error can be caused by several reasons. But in all scenario, its either the minor issues like Date/ time or VPN, or it could be corrupted or be an inaccessible file. All of these factors cause errors like 80072EE2, 8024400A, and 8024400D. These issues can cause real frustration for a new windows user or for someone who wants to run any software but can’t due to outdated Windows.
Well, in any of these situations, you can count on us. We provide the best solutions for Worst Windows problems. May it be an error causing BSOD or missing DLL files, feel free to contact us for help. In case of any queries related to this post, comment down below. Also, if you have any suggestions or any other method to solve this issue, please share down below.
At last, Thanks for lending me your five minutes, I hope these fixes solves your problem.