If you own a Windows PC, then errors are something you have faced before. As most of the errors can be figured out by there name, they are fixed instantly. But, some errors are random due to unknown reasons, the class not registered error is one of them. If you are facing trouble figuring out this error, you are not alone.
In this article, I will show you Every possible way to fix “class not registered error” on Windows 10, 8 and 7.
- 1 What is class not registered error?
- 2 How to Fix Class Not Registered Error
What is class not registered error?
The class not registered error is nothing new in Windows 10, it is also quite common in Windows 7 and Windows 8. The only problem with this error is that it is not specific or limited to one application. And the fact, that it is named in a way which makes no sense for us commoners, makes it really hard to understand.
I remember as a kid with almost zero knowledge about pc, facing these errors forced me to re-install my windows, and it could be anyone. You can face this same error for various application such as-
- Class not registered error for not registered explorer.exe, Excel, Microsoft Edge, Taskbar, uTorrent, Outlook, resgvr32.
- Class not registered error when opening Windows Photo viewer, video or media players.
- Class not registered error due to mmstdfmt.dll.
- Class not registered while opening PDF files.
The class not registered error is caused for any app with unregistered dll files. Due to which, Windows cannot recognize the file and hence, making it inaccessible. It is the same as owning an unregistered sim card. The number exists but can’t be connected as it couldn’t be accessed.
How to Fix Class Not Registered Error
If you are facing this error due to any of the above-mentioned reasons then we have a solution for you. If you are the same issues for another reason then we have a solution for you as well.
1. Re-register ExplorerFrame.dll File
If you are facing class not registered issue while using your Internet Explorer then this method will definitely help.
- First, press Windows + X and then click on Command Prompt (Admin) to open the command prompt as an administrator.
- Click Yes to confirm.
- Now type or paste “rsgsvr32 ExplorerFrame.dll ” and press Enter.
- Try running Internet Explorer again, the problem should be fixed by now.
2. Fix using DCOM Configuration
This issue can also be fixed by fixing the “Distributed Component Object model” error. To do so,
- First, press Windows+R to open Run, then type”dcomcnfg” and press Enter.
- Now go to Component Service > Computer > My computer > DCOM Config.
- Click on DCOM Config and you should get a few warnings.
- Click on Yes and then restart your PC. The “class not register” error should stop appearing.
3. Disable iCloud
It is often found that this error is caused by iCloud, and it can be solved by simply disabling it. To do so,
- First, right-click on your taskbar and click on Taskmanager.
- Find iCloud, right-click and click on End task.
- Now, go to Startup, and find iCloud.
- Right-click and click on Disable.
4. Change Default photo viewer
If you were having issues opening your photos, this method solves the problem.
- Open Start menu by Left-clicking on Windows icon at the left corner of your screen and choose Settings.
- Now, go to System, click on “Default App”. Find “Photo” and left-click on it.
- A new dialogue box will appear in which you have to Select Photo(recommended for windows 10).
- Restart your computer and try opening your photos again. In case it doesn’t work, we have other methods you can try.
5. Change Default Browser
If you are facing “class not registered” error while browsing on chrome or firefox, you can try updating browsers to fix the problem. To update-
- Open your browser, and click on the three vertical dots at the top right corner of your screen.
- Now, go to Help and About Google Chrome for Chrome and About Firefox for Firefox.
- This should update your browsers and fix the problem. Restart your browser and continue your work.
If that doesn’t work, change the default browser. To do so, First-
- Open the Start menu and choose Settings.
- Now, click on “Default App”. Find “Web browser” and left-click on it.
- Chose the browser you want to set as default. (It is preferred to use Internet explored as default browser).
6. Check Internet Explorer ETW Collector running status
If are still having “class not registered” error with your browser check if your Internet Explorer ETW collector is running. This particular method will solve any issues related to Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge.
- Open Run by pressing Windows + R, then type “services.msc” and press Enter to open.
- Now scroll through and find Internet Explorer ETW Collector. Right-click and Start.
7. Use ‘SFC'(System File Checker)
SFC or system file checker is a built-in function in every window, which is used to check for system errors. To use this function
- First, press Windows + X and then click on Command Prompt (Admin) to open the command prompt as administrator.
- Now type or paste”sfc/scannow” and press Enter.
- Let your system scan all the files on the computer, this might take while but should do the job.
8. Faulty Hardware
The class not registered error is usually caused due to software issues but that is not always the case. This error can also be caused due to a faulty hard drive. And, if none of the above ways solved your issue, then you can try reinstalling your Windows, just to cross-check if your hard drive is fine. If you don’t get class not registered errors anymore, your issues have been solved.
Otherwise, changing your Hard Drive is your last resort.
The Bottom Line
Facing errors in your personal device is no big deal, but not solving them is. In windows, most of the problems are caused by either missing files or viruses. The “class not registered” error is common but doesn’t happen often and once resolved, it won’t happen twice for the same application. If you happen to face any type of error in the future, you can find the solution here @PCRetailMag.com.
It is quite unfortunate to face these issues but the different ways provided above will definitely solve the problem. If you have any other way to solve this error, comment down below, I will definitely add it. Also, do let us know what application showed this error and which method worked for you.
For any other errors, you can always count on us. Thanks for reading this article, I hope this works for you.