Are you are having trouble running the Netflix video on Chrome? Have you recently got the Widevine Content Decryption Module related error while running any encrypted video?
If you are facing any of these errors or issues then today we are going to solve that problem. But before that, let us understand the reason behind it.
What is Widevine Content Decryption Module?
So, every video that you run or stream from providers like Netflix, are encrypted in nature. In technical terms, these videos are DRM protected HTML5 contents. These encryptions not only ensure safety but also offer accessibility, better streaming quality and many more. In simple words, to run any of these videos you will need a decrypter, which is the problem here.
As you can conclude by now, the Widevine Content Decryption Module is a decrypter that is responsible to run encrypted videos. It is a plug-in that comes pre-installed with Chrome, without which, you cannot watch videos from providers like Netflix on Chrome. And the error in hand is mostly caused in case the plug-in is unable to locate or simply outdated.
How to Fix Widevine Content Decryption Module Error
Well fortunately for us, it is pretty simple for us to solve this issue. But please be patient and follow thoroughly as the exact cause of the problem is still unknown.
1. Update Widevine Content Decryption Individually
The most common reason for this error is the outdated module. It is often seen that the Widevine Content Decryption Module cannot update for some reasons, making it incompatible. It can happen due to several reasons which we will talk later in this article. But first, let us upgrade our plug-in,
- Open Chrome, and type in chrome://components/ in the address bar and press Enter.
- Now, scroll down and search for Widevine Content Decryption Module.
- Under Widevine Content Decryption Module Click on Check for update.
- Wait for the module to get updated, and restart your Browser to see if the problem is solved.
2. Check System Antivirus
Since the module is now up to date, it time to take care of the rest. One of the reasons why the Decryption Module was unable to update is due to system antivirus. The Windows firewall or any installed antivirus has all the rights to disable any plug-in or stop it from updating. So, in case you were not able to update Widevine Content Decryption, there is a good chance that it is your Antivirus. You can try disabling it to update your plug-in.
To disable Windows firewall,
- Open Start menu and type in Windows Firewall in the search bar.
- On the left side, click on Turn of Windows Firewall on or off.
- Now select Turn off Windows Firewall in both Private and Public network setting.
- Click on OK to make changes and then try upgrading your plug-in.
3. Deleting and Updating Plug-in
If your Widevine Content Decryptions module is not getting updated or corrupted in some manner, then deleting and updating it will basically restore it with the latest version of the Module. it is a simple process but you do need an administrator account. To do so,
- Press Windows + E to open This PC.
- Now navigate to – C:\Users\User Profile\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data.
- Scroll down and search for WidevineCdm.
- Right-click and Delete.
Once, you have deleted, the plugin file, its time to update it. Follow the same steps as in Method 1 to update the Widevine Content Decryption Module.
4. Re-install Chrome
If unfortunately none of the above methods worked for you so far, reinstalling chrome is the last resort. Well, you won’t recover plug-ins/extensions that were externally installed but you can restore your bookmarks and history if your data is synced with a Google account. Now let’s move to the uninstallation process.
To uninstall Chrome,
- Open Start menu and type “Uninstall a program” in the search bar.
- Now scroll down and search Google Chrome.
- On Google Chrome, double click on it to open uninstallation wizard.
- Once, your browser is uninstalled, reboot your PC so you can re-install it.
To re-install Google Chrome,
- First, open any browser to access the google search engine.
- In the search bar, type Download Google Chrome.
- Now click on Download Now to open the download page.
- On the Download page, click on Download Chrome-> Accept and install to start downloading.
- Once, the download is complete, open the downloaded file and install google chrome. Sign in with your old account to restore your settings.
The Bottom line
Netflix and chill is all fun and game as long as you do it on your smart TV. But having a date night, and getting an error while running Netflix on your PC or laptop might ruin everything. Well, these errors are usually unexpected as you don’t find them unless their service is required. These error/ issues mostly go unnoticed till the last moment and when you encounter them, you don’t really know what to do. Well, worry not cause now, no browser can ruin your chill anymore.
So, enjoy your Web series and don’t forget to have fun. If you have any queries or suggestion to make, feel free to comment. I hope these methods came in handy and solved your problem. Make sure to check us out in case you face another problem or BSOD errors.
At last, thanks for reading this article, God bless.