If you’re one of Frontier’s Internet subscribers, you’re probably here because you want to set up your all-new Frontier Router. Frontier is an American telecommunications company that offers internet services to areas ranging from large metropolitan markets to smaller residential neighborhoods. If you’ve activated one of their internet plans, you’ll need a Wi-Fi router that is compatible with Frontier. These routers include popular selections such as the Arris NVG443B and the Netgear D220D.
You may also have your hands on the Frontier’s very own FiOS Gateway Router, Arris NVG468MQ, which comes pre-configured to give you Wi-Fi the second you turn it on. Whichever router you have, we’re gonna show you how to set it up and configure its network settings. Let’s get started!
What Is A Frontier Internet Router?
Frontier Routers are essentially an all-in-one modem and router that is compatible with Frontier’s internet services. In most cases, you’ll automatically receive a router from Frontier that’s selected to give the best performance based on your internet package.
You can choose to buy your own modem/router instead of the one Frontier offers, however, you’ll miss out on the technical benefits it offers. Moreover, buying your own internet equipment means you won’t be eligible for system upgrades that the Frontier service offers. Hence, a Frontier Router is the way to go if you want to make the most out of your payment plan.
A list of the latest supported Frontier Routers is shown below:
- Actiontec F2250, GT784WNV
- Actiontec WR424 Rev E, F and I
- Arris NVG443B, NVG448B, NVG448BQ, NVG468MQ
- Arris NVG589
- D-Link DSL-2750B
- Greenwave G1100
- Netgear D2200D
- Netgear 7550
- Pace 4111N, 5031NV, 5168N
How To Login Frontier Router?
In this section, we’ll go into detail and explain how you can set up your Frontier Router. The process is rather simple and shouldn’t take you any longer than a few minutes.
If you want to refer to documentation as you go through the steps below, take a look at the “Quick Setup Guide” that comes included within the box. Before you begin, make sure you have all the following necessary cables: an ethernet cable, your DSL cable, a power cord, and an inline filter.
- Once you’ve got all your components sorted out, flip your router to its bottom side and make note of your “WiFi Network Name” and “WiFi Password”. These will be required in the later steps to connect your computer to the Wi-Fi network.
- Now, begin by inserting your phone filter into the wall jack where your high-speed internet service is delivered.
- Now take the internet cable and connect one end of it to either ports 1,2,3 or 4 on the back of your Frontier router, then connect the other end to the ethernet port on your computer. (Skip this step if you want to establish your network wirelessly).
- Next, connect your DSL cable as shown in the image in the back of the router. Connect the other end to the phone filter you connected in step 2.
- Now connect the power supply to the router and turn it on by pressing the on/off button. (Note, sometimes the device may turn on without you having to press the button)
- When the DSL lights stop flashing, you’ve successfully set-up your router.
- Now open your computer and connect to the WiFi network from the network list. Enter the password you noted in Step 1.
Congratulations! You’ve successfully set-up your Frontier Internet Router. Now, all that’s left to do is login into the router’s admin tool and manage your security and network settings. We’ll discuss this in more detail in the section below.
Frontier Router Default Username And Password
Physically setting up your Frontier Router is only half the day’s work done. We still have to change your Wi-Fi network’s default login and password. You can do this by accessing the router’s default gateway login. All routers, whether they be for business or for private use have a default login gateway.
This is basically an IP address link that contains an administrator utility to set up and configure your router. Unless specified otherwise by your manufacturer, the default login link for a Frontier router is http://192.168.254.254. Visiting this website will land you on a page that looks something like this:
For most Frontier Internet Routers, the default username is “admin” and the password can be either “admin” or “password” depending on which device you have. In some cases, for devices such as the Actiontec WR424 Rev E, F, and I the password is actually labeled on the back of the router.
Now after logging in you can configure your network and change your Wi-Fi password. We highly recommend you change your password because the default one is available to the public. To do this click on the “Wireless” tab, then select “Total Control Wireless”.
Next, change the default password from “1234567890” to something of your own preference. We recommend using multiple numbers, uppercase, and lowercase letters to ensure optimal protection.
After changing the password, you’ll have to reconnect all your devices to the network to gain internet access. In this section of the router utility, you’ll also find that you can set up the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wireless bands if your device supports it.
We hope this guide helped you setup-up your new Frontier Internet Router. If you run into some trouble during the process, go ahead and contact the Frontier support team here. If you’d like to know more or have any questions about your Frontier Internet router, feel free to ask us in the comments below. We’ll be glad to assist you in any way we can. Thanks for reading!