A number of routers utilize their full power to broadcast a stronger signal and they become a failure because of their firmware limits. The open-source router firmware upgrade project is called DD-WRT. Not all routers are able to manage network traffic, broadcast powerful signals, network encryption, and help to remotely access all computers.
So in this content, we will check out which routers can perform DD-WRT projects.
- 1 Best Routers for DD-WRT – Pros & Cons
- 1.1 1. NetGear R6700
- 1.2 2. Netgear R7000
- 1.3 3. Linksys WRT-3200ACM
- 1.4 4. Asus RT-N66U (N900)
- 1.5 5. Asus RT-AC88U
Best Routers for DD-WRT – Pros & Cons
1. NetGear R6700
If you like to go with the R6700 for the DD-WRT project, you will have a compact package of various features at an affordable price. This router arrives with a brand-new design that is unique in the NetGear series.
- It has one front-placed 3.0 USB slot that can be applied for external storage devices. It allows you to create an easy set up of entertainment hubs and access them from numerous devices.
- This router offers three powerful antennas, those are not only effective for a strong network development but also removable and adjustable as well.
- NetGear R6700 can provide efficient performance that can support networks up to 1,750Mbps. This network signal is divided into two channels and they can easily perform any high-end online streaming hassle-free.
- This device can provide high-quality performance in terms of storage capacity.
- There is hardly any other router that can offer a wide range of security features like You will have both Parental Controls and Free backup software support to secure your device. Parental Control enables the parents to bound their child’s internet access limit. On the other hand, Free backup software ensures a backup process for important video and audio files.
- It has an advanced QoS feature and Beamforming Support that ensures the top download or browsing speed even if there is not enough capacity. It helps to maintain a certain streaming speed and never let your network slow down.
- Processor: Dual-core processor
- Weight: 1.65 lbs
- Max Download Speed: Up to 450 + 1,300Mbps
- Warranty: 2 years
- Dimension: 11.22 x 7.26 x 1.97 in.
- Superfast NAS performance
- Wonderful streaming and gaming
- The installation process is a little bit confusing
2. Netgear R7000
The very name may sound more like a military aircraft than a network router, but it has numerous attractive qualities that provoke to take this name among DD-WRT and VPN fans. This router is recognized as a constant favorite and comes into the top-rated router list. One of the fundamental reasons for its immense popularity is the budget-friendly price point.
- This router comes with a 1GHz dual-core CPU and it can support networks up to 1900 Mbps.
- It has an impressive power transmission system that makes this device a suitable one for large homes among the Netgear series.
- You will get four standard Ethernet ports along with two additional USB ports at the backside of this device. One port is the 2.0 USB model that is appropriate for a printer or with other low-bandwidth external devices. Another second port is 3.0 USB port that is appropriate for attaching any flash stick or 3.0 hard drive. It can help you to share all necessary files across the home network.
- If you want to cover your large square foot apartment with a super-fast network then you must consider this device for its affordable price.
- Netgear R7000 comes with a dynamic QoS feature for lag-free streaming and gaming. Not only that!! It has Prioritized Bandwidth and Beamforming features to improve signal strength.
- The installation process is fully automatic and it consists of a free backup software function that secures all-important video and audio files.
- Weight: 1.5 lbs
- Max Download Speed: AC1900 Wi-Fi / 600 + 1,300Mbps
- Warranty: 1 Year (90 days for technical support)
- Processor: 1GHz dual-core processor
- Dimensions: 11.22 x 7.26 x 1.97 in.
- Excellent stable network
- Long-range coverage
- First-class USB performance
- The warranty period is only 1 year
3. Linksys WRT-3200ACM
WRT-3200ACM is one of the finest models among the leading Linksys routers. In terms of performance and features, this router can really be called a beast.
- This router is designed with an outstanding configuration including 1.8GHz dual-core CPU, 256MB storage for a flash drive, and 512MB for RAM.
- WRT-3200ACM consists of four Ethernet ports and also 3.0 USB port to share your files from one device to another. This is not the end!! It also has an eSATA port for transferring any files.
- Besides, using this in-built software, you can get an option to fine-tune this router according to your requirements.
- The above-mentioned features are really common to watch in different routers. The unique feature of this router is to bring support for 160Mhz channels that can turn double of its entire bandwidth on the band of 5ghz. Hence, it can be said that it is primarily made for powerful use.
- This router comes with a Tri-Stream technology to connect several a number of devices and it consists of more frequencies than any dual-band routers. In fact, this device is made of MU-MIMO antennas that can transmit data on more than one channel.
- This router has an updated Smart Wi-Fi mobile application, through that you can perform any task including online video streaming or gaming from the remotest part of the corner.
- Processor: 1.8GHz processor
- Dimensions: 9.68 x 2.04 x 7.63 in.
- Warranty: 1 year
- Weight: 3.57 lbs
- Max Download Speed: Up to 3.2Gbps
- It has an amazing file transfer capability
- It supports MU-MIMO technology
- Wired connectivity is flawless
- It cannot deliver better speed up to 2.4GHz
4. Asus RT-N66U (N900)
In current dates, RT-N66U is one of the most familiar and most promising DD-WRT routers in the market. This router has a comprehensive feature that can easily meet all the necessary requirements of most of the users.
- If you look at this device minutely then you can see it brings support for 802.11ac that are not considered as the fastest or latest Wi-Fi standard. Though this is not up to the mark still it can provide web speed up to 900Mbps which is more than enough for most of the people.
- It does not have a 3.0 USB slot, but it comprises two 2.0 USB ports that can serve you good performance in terms of developing any digital media content.
- This router has concurrent dual-band channels that permit the users to switch between different frequencies.
- Now you can have an expanded wireless coverage that can amplify or boost up the existing signal. It is really necessary to stream any online content or play any online game lag-free. Not only that!! It also covers a large area of requirements through a wireless internet connection.
- You can access the USB storage devices through this router and it has an individual AsusWRT dashboard for comfortable web browsing.
- Processor: Broadcom BCM4706
- Weight: 1.8 lbs
- Max Download Speed: Up to 900Mbps
- Warranty: 2 years
- Dimensions: 11 x 14 x 3.5 in.
- Able to perform the wireless function
- Strong feature set
- Redesigned GUI (Graphical User Interface)
- Some features can be improved including VPN and DLNA
5. Asus RT-AC88U
If you are looking for something more robust then you must pay attention to Asus RT-AC88U. This router comes with an attractive design and perhaps the most appropriate design is its antenna. These antennas are crafted as 4T4R design where 4 transmit and 4 receive. It is the reason to recommend this router for large houses and apartments.
- This router is a dual-band device that can offer excellent connectivity. It has 5GHz connectivity signal that can deliver speed up to 2,100Mbps and 2.4GHz connectivity signal can offer speed up to 1,000Mbps.
- You will have an 8 Gigabit LAN ports and it also has a single USB port that can transfer data up to 100 Mbps.
- If you need to run DD-WRT on this router then it is really beneficial because this device runs on an exclusive 1.4GHz dual-core processor.
- One of the most interesting facts Asus has done a comprehensive job by designing their own custom firmware. It can provide necessary notification to the users even in the smallest of details.
- You can operate this router through a dedicated iOS and Android app. If you need to unlock its full power then you must need DD-WRT.
- This router is powered by in-built NitroQAM technology that spreads the gateway for wider throughput and it helps to improve network speed for both online streaming and online gaming.
- It comes with Asus AiProtection that can ensure three-pronged security from the Trend Micro Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) It is designed to provide you with enterprise-level safety at your home’s network signal.
- Now you can have a Wide Wi-Fi coverage that can boost up the existing signal. It is really necessary to stream any online content or play any online game without any hassle. It is also helpful to cover a wide area of your house under a top-speed network.
- Processor: 1.4GHz dual-core processor
- Weight: 2.6 lbs
- Warranty: 2 years
- Max Download Speed: Up to 3,167Mbps
- Dimensions: 30 x 6 x 18.8 in.
- The design is really classy and it can hardly find in any other devices
- This router comes with dual-band connectivity
- CPU is well enough capable to deliver high-end streaming performance
- It comes with just a single USB port
- Weight is a little bit heavy than other devices
- It is a little bit expensive than other routers
We have discussed a lot about different routers that can perform amazing features and provide high-end streaming speed. Now, this is the high time to select your favorite router to unleash unlimited streaming and online gaming. Best of luck!!