The Error with Code 0x80070005 is also recognized as ‘Access Denied’ error. This error is related to Windows updates.
It raises when the system or user lacks the required files or permissions to change settings at the time of Windows update. As a result, Windows update installation is aborted, and the user starts to experience issues like system slow down, abrupt system restart, and crash—Blue Screen of Death (BSOD). These events and the error can cause severe data loss. Thus, fixing the error code 0x80070005 is critical. This is one rather common Windows update error and it usually appears when system updates. Windows update is an important task for your computer. The operating system is set to check available updates automatically on a regular basis and then download and install updates on request. Optionally, you can manually check possible updates and install them. Installation of Windows updates can protect the system from system vulnerabilities so that PC can work in secure status. As the updating is able to update Microsoft software, for instance, Microsoft Office. The update process may fail to run smoothly when you aim to install a certain update and you may get issues and the error code 0x80070005 is one of the most typical issues.
How Is This Error”0x80070005″ Caused?
The 0x80070005 error usually appears during Windows Update or by specific applications because of DLL files permission being denied, but it can also be caused by any of the following:
- Malware or virus infections
- Settings to Windows Update not being configured correctly
- Issues with Administrative rights
- Firewall software
- Windows access rights are not configured correctly. The most common cause of this error is a Windows application that attempts to read or write a key file, but the access denied by Windows ACL(Access control list).In addition, malware on your PC can also become the reason, as malicious software or virus may block any actions. In that scenario, PC users should update antivirus software and remove malicious applications and infected data.
How To Fix 0x80070005 Error?
Here are some methods which will help you in fixing this “0x80070005” error:-
1. Switch User Account To An Administrator Account
Click the ‘Download’ button.
Click the update download link and then install the downloaded update in your Windows PCAn administrator is a user who is allowed to make changes on the computer and changes will influence other users of the PC. The administrator account is able to configure security settings, manage software, hardware and all files on the computer and make changes to other users. Some administrator account is password-protected, and in that case, you need to know the password to log on the account.
Step 1: The easiest way is to restart the computer and log in with the administrator account. If you do not want to reboot PC, then you can switch user account to admin with the given steps.
Step 2: Click “Start” button and choose “Control Panel” on which you can see the “User Account” option. Click and open it.
Step 3: You can see all user accounts on the User Accounts window, and then please select the one that represents your user account. Go ahead and click “Change the account type” and enter the password if required.
Step 4: Then log out Windows and log back in once again, after which you’ll have the same access rights to all operations as the administrator account. Then you can try installing Windows updates now.
2. Manually Update The Windows
When everything fails to fix the Windows update error code 0x80070005, follow these instructions to update your Windows manually. Windows Update Catalog is a repository from where one can download the Windows cumulative or significant updates and install them manually—just like any other program.
- Go to Settings>Update & Security>Windows Update
- Press ‘View Update History’ and copy down the Windows Update version code
- Now visit Windows Updates Catalogue
- In the search box, type your update version code and Hit ‘Enter’ or Press the ‘Search’ buttonIf you notice an error or update is not installed successfully with the manual method, reset your system.
3. Configure Windows Update Settings
One of the easiest solutions is to configure Windows Update settings to permit automatic updates.
Make sure you’re logged in as an Admin.
Follow these steps:
- Press Start
updatein search bar
- Choose Windows Update from the search results index
- Press Change Settings
- Choose Install updates automatically (recommended) at the Important Updates section
- Fix a schedule when the updates are going to be installed
- Press OK
If your Windows Firewall settings are too strict, the 0x80070005 error might display even if your Windows Update settings are directed to automatically install updates.
To set this, follow these steps:
- Click Start
firewallin the search box
- Select Windows Firewall from the search results list
- Select Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall from the left side
- Click Allow another program
- Click Browse
- Look for the
- Click Open
- Click Add
- A new program known as Host Process for Windows Services should be in your index.
- Press OK
4. Run Windows Update Troubleshooter.
Before you perform, troubleshoot make sure, you logged in to Administrator account. If the Windows update troubleshooter does not work. Perform clean boot, reboot the computer and try again.
- On the start, menu search for troubleshooting. Click on troubleshoot.
2. Find Windows update. Click on Run the troubleshooter. Follow on-screen instructions.
Note: You can also download Windows update troubleshooter from Windows Official website here
5. Perform Clean Boot
- Press Windows + R at the same time. Type MSConfig. Click on OK.
2. On the General tab, uncheck Load startup items.
3. On the Services tab. Click on Hide all Microsoft services. Click on Disable all. Click OK.
4. Restart the computer and try to run Windows update troubleshooter Step 2 again.
These were the possible methods to fix the “0x80070005” error easily and effectively. I hope these methods would help you in fixing this fishy error.
If you feel any difficulty in implementing these steps then please let me know in the comments section, I will surely help you.